Modern art

I don’t often go to modern art fairs, mainly because I don’t get it at all, and I have a tendency to express scorn and not-so-educated scathing comments  out loud when everyone else is silent (it’s a family gift, Dad has a thing to start talking about the Red Brigades or bombs as soon as a metal detector and armed guards are within earshot).
However, some time ago I was taken – mouth duly plugged with abundant speed tape – to Turin’s Paratissima, where I learnt that, sometimes, location (Pier Luigi Nervi’s Exhibition hall) and visitors could be a lot more interesting than whatever ‘art’ is on display there.

This entry was posted in Europe, Italy, Piemonte and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Modern art

I often find I enjoy a museum’s architecture as much as the art within! But I do like (most) modern art! 🙂

Do you? I really struggle to understand it. I admire artists because they have a degree of talent that I don’t possess, but I can’t really say the same for modern art. I mean, I once saw an installation by Yoko Ono that consisted of a couple of book shelves, probably from Ikea, a few glasses with water and some names written with a typewriter. ?!

• lexklein says:

Perhaps we are defining modern art differently or thinking of different types of modern art? I do not care for the type of “installation” you describe above either, but I do like abstract painting. I like clean lines, non-realistic representations, and many other aspects of modern art, but I agree that everyday objects clumped together on a museum floor or wall are often unappealing and uninteresting.

Ah, in that sense I do agree with you, Lexi!

2. LaVagabonde says:

I’m with you, Fabrizio. Modern art often leaves me feeling like my intelligence is insulted. I’d probably stare at those pleasant, symmetrical walls, too.

3. jvillaart says:

Loving the post! Looks really really great!