Slow dawn

I’m normally up at 5.30, 6.30 on weekends. Yes, that’s sad.
A few months ago I could get up, dressed, fed and caffeinated in the dazzling light of the sun, already high over the city. Then July gave way to August, and August gave way to September, and whilst I kept on waking up at the same time the Earth continued its imperceptible journey along its axis and the gravity well of the Sun, and the light grew dimmer and dimmer. Last week, for the first time, I had to turn the kitchen light on to avoid stumbling into the door jamb.
I always associated this part of the year with a sad Italian song about summers ending and growing up, but at least there’s a silver lining, because – by the time I get to drink my first cup of coffee of the day, this is the spectacle that unfolds out of my balcony. As far as silver linings go I know it’s only going to be temporary, for in a couple of weeks’ time I’ll be seeing it from the tube, and then from my office, but for the time being it’s alright.
Click on the photos to start the slideshow.
This entry was posted in Europe, UK, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Slow dawn

1. What a view! (where are you?)

2. LaVagabonde says:

Fabulous view, Fabrizio. Quite a reward for having to deal with the waning autumn light.

Thanks Julie! On an unrelated topic, I’m going to Prague next week, with which I think you’re familiar with; any suggestions?

• LaVagabonde says:

I still live in Prague, so I’d say I know it pretty well. 🙂 Lots of tourists here still. If you go to the touristy areas, go early in the morning or later in the evening. Get off the main streets. Most of the mob doesn’t think to venture down the smaller streets. Petrin Hill is great for a walk, and also Vysehrad is nice and has a lovely Art Nouveau cemetery. Hope you have a good time! How long are you staying for?

Ah, only two days. Thanks for the tips, will definitely check them out!

3. Absolutely fantastic pics

I really think of it as a “descent” into fall. I struggle with the waning light both morning and evening, but in my new apartment I do have a great sunset view, so I’m trying to be grateful for small pleasures. Making coffee on a dark morning is no fun, though!

5. Jane says:

Beautiful views! I’m an early riser too. You’ll find me also sipping coffee or tea (on my verandah) at around 5.30am on a Saturday, joined by mosquitoes, biting midges and a chorus of birds. 🙂

Well, not many mosquitos or midges here! What I do have is a flock of parakeets that, seemingly, have found London to their liking. I’m sure the Daily Mail will have a fit when they hear about it (immigrant birds!)

6. restlessjo says:

I like watching the sun come up and the sky change colour, but then I’m lucky and I don’t have to go to work afterwards. 🙂