Istanbul 6 AM

Les travestis vont se raser
Les strip-teaseuses sont rhabillées
Les traversins sont écrasés
Les amoureux sont fatigués
Or so sang Jacques Dutronc in his masterpiece Il est cinq heures, Paris s’éveille
It’s 6AM in Istanbul, but we’re a couple of hours ahead and Istanbul, well, s’éveille aussi. The guards at Aksaray metro station won’t come out of the sentry box because it’s 6AM and even Daesh is having a lie-in today.
The simit sellers are already out supplying the Galata fishermen who’d been out there all night, catching God knows what.
The shops at the foot of Galata escarpment are already open, or perhaps not yet closed. Cats slip in and out, dancing around empty bottles of raki. It’s a Saturday morning.
The New Mosque is all wrapped up in plastic and scaffolding, but Suleymaniye gleams up top and Ayasofya is still looking as if she’d got everything figured out.
It’s six AM in Istanbul. The transvestites are going for a pass of the Bic, the strippers have got their parkas on again, bolsters are crushed, lovers are tired and I’ve found my hotel. Perhaps I can sweet talk the consierge into really relaxing that early check-in policy.

This entry was posted in Europe, Turkey and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Istanbul 6 AM

There’s something so enchanting, but simple about mornings before sunrise. Bon voyage.

2. Ahh. You sweet talker you. This is much too short, but also maybe just long enough.

Now I’m gonna read J. D. I’ve left you two for the end. I love it when two favourite bloggers post on the same day.

On the very rare occasions I am up to see a city wake up, I enjoy it immensely. My sister and I ran one early morning in Istanbul, but it was not a comfortable feeling so we cut it short. I love your shot of the dark little street, but that’s a time and place that I can’t go alone in many cities, unfortunately.

I can imagine, Lexi. I adore Istanbul and I’m glad just to go there and simply *be* there. But I’m a bearded 6ft male and most people take me for a local. My experience of it would be very different if I were a woman.

Evocative and poetic.

Les traversins sont écrasés… I’ve always loved that song. One of Dutronc’s very best. And one of the best songs on Paris.

6. Gorgeous! Did they let you check in?

7. Lignum Draco says:

You’re certainly getting around. Watch those carbon emissions. 😉
    This is somewhere I want to go to. I’d love to wander to see the city waking, but you can’t fight that need for sleep.

Watching them! Ready for the end of 2019 offset too… 🙂
      I agree on the need for sleeping, even though I’m more of a morning person than a late night guy. However, in this case a red-eye flight definitely helped…