Mountains, alleys and oppression. A taste of what’s to come.

It’s been my hardest trip. It’s the one I’ve been the sickest, the loneliest, the most confused and bewildered.
But it’s also been a source of endless grins, of unexpected solutions to sudden problems, of sweeping views and of deep, meaningful conversations.

It’s been one of the trips I’ve learnt the most from. About me, about a corner of the world and about my own thought process.
I laughed, I worried, I cursed, I lost my marbles and I’ve been genuinely thankful to utter, complete strangers. I’ve learnt that humans can be kind and indifferent, compassionate and absolute cocksplats, interesting conversation partners and extraordinary waste of spaces.

I’ll try to do it justice here, I’ll really do. It’ll be hard because one can’t quite do justice to Kyrgyzstan, Xinjiang and Kazakhstan. Not even after visiting this corner of the world so many times. But I’ll give it a go. Later.

This entry was posted in Asia, Central Asia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Mountains, alleys and oppression. A taste of what’s to come.

Sounds a bit like my recent trip to Bali. The tough ones often end up being the most profound.

2. OK. Looking forward to more details, chuckle.

Good luck putting words to all the thoughts! I finally gave up on really documenting what I saw and felt in Bhutan; it just wanted to stay inside me, I guess, so I could fully absorb its good and bad. Your first photo is so reminiscent of Mongolia (it must be Kyrgyzstan …) and that alone has me eager to hear about your trip.

That’s quite the teaser. I look forward to reading more.

If travel does nothing else, it proves that character has nothing to do with race, religion, or nationality, and everything to do with how people deal with their individual circumstances and those around them. To a degree I suppose part of the value of travel is learning about character; your own and that of the people you encounter.

I wholeheartedly agree, Dave. And I’d go beyond in saying that travel teaches us not only a lot about character but also that idiots are everywhere. it’s not as if one country has more than its fair share!

• Dave Ply says:

I sometimes wonder how humanity can have so much range; from being able to do complex high-tech solutions to being complete idiots. (And potentially even in the same person!) It’s strange too what people choose to be bigoted about – why tribes instead of jerks?

Yeah it’s a mystery. And somehow some of the complete idiots wound up going places really quick… one of the reasons why I think modern corporations are deeply, deeply faulty. But I digress