Hawaii to Patagonia to India to Nowhere.

…and then there were none.
Trips, I mean.
The reason is obvious: a global pandemic with its corollary of panic, knee-jerk reactions and uncertainty. It was only Wednesday but it feels like a year ago: can Europeans living in the UK enter the US? Is my Indian visa appointment still worth going to the consulate for? And again, can I enter – Italian, living abroad – Brazil, Chile, Argentina? (answers: possibly yes, maybe, increasingly unlikely).
Better to stop, cancel, take the loss as one of my MBA professors used to say (whilst looking like the Penguin on a massive coke high) and let things settle down. Let sanity return. And perhaps try and avoid becoming a problem that someone else will need to solve. As an old friend of mine, ICU nurse in my hometown, said in a lovely Instagram photo that I’m happy to share (click here or here for the account), it’s all gonna go well.
This entry was posted in Odd ones out. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Hawaii to Patagonia to India to Nowhere.

This too shall pass.

Your ICU nurse’s Instagram account is private; we non-initiates cannot view the proffered photo.

2. It’s craziness out there. We just have to be patient, normalcy will return…some day.

I feel your pain!

4. Yeah, that’s my worry, being a problem that someone else have to solve. I’m staying home but not gracefully.

Shame about your trip, though.

I’ve got a trip coming up in 10 days. The only thing that will stop me is if the government shuts down travel.

6. The Hook says:

The fear is worse than the disease, without a doubt.
    But we’ll get through this.

I can relate. We were going to be leaving for Mexico in about three weeks – alas, no more.

Has Mexico closed the border? That would be ironic!

• Dave Ply says:

I don’t think they have yet, but I’ve heard rumblings that direction. In this case it was the tour company that shut it down. Things are shutting down left and right around here.

Yeah unsurprisingly I guess… here the Muppet character that doubles as our Prime Minister and his cohort of fascist daughter of immigrants, utter imbeciles, classist nutjobs and mysoginists are repeating that everything is fine, shouldn’t close anything and so on. Since we have a week on our hands we rented a cottage on Skye in Scotland and drove there. On our way we saw three bus tours of punters that, judging by their age, have fought all Punic wars. How irresponsible to expose them like that…

8. Very sensible to cancel/move your trips under the circumstances, Fabrizio. I suspect it is going to get worse, before getting better. We just came back from a quick trip to our land in Portugal to meet with the architect and electrician to get the project over the last hurdle for our habitation licence we need to deal with official paperwork and deadlines. And get our olive trees pruned, before spring arrived. We were lucky that our gamble paid off, as of today (four days after we got back) Etihad has suspended all its flights to Madrid (our port of entry/exit). The only downside is that in the time we were away a memo came out that no one can return to work for two weeks if they’ve been out the country. We are hoping they will allow my husband to work from home . . . It could have been worse, and like you say, better play it safe than creating a problem someone else has to deal with. I guess there is a fine line between freaking out and being sensible and for each of us it is slightly different. Good luck with trying to live a normal kind of life in this chaos and uncertainty.

Ah just in time, good for you Jolandi (and besides great stuff about that Portugal plan of yours, we’d love a buen retiro too although by the looks of things it might happen around AD 2300 for us). Hold tight it’ll blow over!

• Thanks, Fabrizio. Sometimes one has to be brave and just take the plunge. We have often asked ourselves “What were we thinking?” Yet, every time we spend time there, we know we’ve done the right thing, even though there are a lot of financial uncertainties and paperwork waiting. But unless one takes a risk, one will never know . . . Take care!

Well done you two!!

9. Pingback: Hawaii to Patagonia to India to Nowhere. — Are we there yet? – Truth Troubles

10. Shame about Patagonia (one of my faves) but it will be there for you when we come out the other side of this. Craziness! Take care of yourself.

11. Too bad about your travels 😦 Ours were cut short 😦 but these are insignificant compared to the bigger picture. We are in isolation.
    Stay safe and well Fabrizio.