Tackling the long form.

I once had a colleague who, in retrospective, I wish I’d known better. He left the company before I could, proof once again that the only outcome of too many postponements is missing out on things. But I digress; I had a colleague, once, and that guy had an uncanny ability to ask the right questions. One day over lunch he asked one of those: “if you needn’t worry about money, what job would you do?”.
There was only one answer, for there is only one dream job that, even in my dreams, I know could never pay enough: travel writing.
Now, I think I’m getting close to that. Not to getting paid – oh no, not that – but to making a job out of it. The hours poured into this nascent project, this veritable labour of love, are rivalling those invested – or wasted, I should say – in the dayjob, the one that pays the bill. I’ll be back with more, but in the meantime, here’s a teaser to end this post.

This entry was posted in Odd ones out and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Tackling the long form.

1. Sounds interesting. Best of luck with it…whatever *it* is.

2. Looking forward to more

3. I am so looking forward to this, Fabrizio. Hope the editing is going well!

A Mongolian ger, a surveillance camera, an ancient tomb (in Uzbekistan?), a Bactrian camel… I shouldn’t be surprised that the theme revolves around Central Asia. I remember when I read your old posts on this part of the world, I could tell how much you were fascinated by this region. Good luck with your book, Fabrizio!

5. Anna says:

Oh wow this is so cool! I promise to buy your book when published!

6. Lignum Draco says:

Good luck with achieving the dream and your labour of love. A friend of mine is a professional travel writer for newspapers and magazines and he gets paid to travel and review resorts, etc. I express my envy to him regularly.

Lucky duck! Although… I’m going independently and I’m actually happy about it. Don’t know how it’d be if I was on a schedule, with a boss breathing down my neck..

7. Good luck! Can’t wait to read it!

Clearly your new career path involves designing heraldic crests.

Travel writer. Sounds promising. All well?

10. Looking forward to hearing more. That is a very cool drawing!

11. Exciting! Good luck with the completion. Hopefully you’ll make oodles of money and can quit your day job.

I can’t Stan the suspense. I’m sure it’ll be great, whatever it is. And even if it doesn’t make you rich, it’ll be a great CV for travel editors…

13. I am thrilled to hear that you are pursuing your dream with vigor and have a forthcoming book in the works! I am a HUGE fan of your travel writing and look forward to your publication in August. Did you create that artwork? It is glorious.

Hi Lisa!
      Many thanks, way too kind… let’s see how it goes. The art work thingy has been sketched indeed by me, but a friend who is really skilled turned it into ‘reality’.