Beach life.

A pebble beach. Cold wind, the waters of the fjord lapping the polished stones of the shore. A faint smell of trees hanging in the air. A crowd, gathered in expectation.
People are waiting patiently. Some carry binoculars, some have huge, paparazzi-style lenses. Dogs are nonplussed but make the most of the unexpected circumstance: plenty of chances to play with other dogs.
Then, it happens. Feet from shore, so close you can almost reach it, the black back of a dolphin emerges.
Then another, then another. Or maybe it’s the same two, who knows. But on and on they appear, apparently feeding on some underwater table of plenty.
Where could this place be? Norway? New Zealand? Vancouver Island, maybe?
– § –
Early morning after a night out camping. The sun is rising behind a knot of fluffy clouds.
The sand is an unbelievable pink, soft but firm under our feet. The water explores all the possible permutation of the blue palette, growing darker as it deepens. Seagulls squawk to one another.
We stroll up to the foreshore, eyes looking for shells left by the retreating sea.

There’s a solitary swimmer out there but, besides him, we’re alone on the beach. The wind, here in this cove, is down to a gentle whisper.
Where is this place? Could it be Bermuda, Sardinia, Easter Island?
– § –
Both beaches are in the same region: the Scottish Highlands.
This entry was posted in Scotland and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Beach life.

1. Anna says:

I must admit to being surprised by Scottish beaches when I was there many years back. Some were absolutely gorgeous, especially on the Isle of Lewis. Could have almost been a tropical paradise… If I wasn’t freezing my tits off!

Yes, the north coast is littered with fab beaches and, on the drive south, we stopped at one near Newcastle that was properly gorgeous… but the water should be at least 25C for yours truly to stick in even a pinky toe!

2. I-DAVE says:

Scotland is one of Europe’s best kept secrets.

I was going to guess somewhere in the UK, up north. Did you venture into those waves?

4. I never would have guessed Scotland but I guess it did look cold. A great mystery for the day after Halloween!

5. Beautiful pictures. We had a great time in Scotland last October. Breathtaking scenery and such easy driving compared to Ireland! Made it over to the Isle of Mull, Arisaig and then east to Aberdeen (with a must needed stop at the Glenfiddich Distillery). Lots of driving.The furthest north we got on the east coast was the Bullars of Buchan. Would love to go back someday. The Scottish rainbows were amazing.

6. I thought it might be the missing dolphin of Dingle! Gorgeous. What a magnificent place. Thank you for the inspiration of other places as the walls feel like they close in here in the US. Fingers and toes are crossed that we are going to step away from fascism soon — but alcohol and Irish passport application on hand, just in case.

I was guessing that it was somewhere in the UK. When you revealed that it’s actually in Scotland, I thought to myself, this is another reason why I should travel to this part of the world one day. By the way, I have just received your book (yes, I bought the hardcopy version because I like to disconnect from my gadgets when I’m reading a book). I can’t wait to read it!

8. How exciting to see the dolphins! Beautiful photos Fabrizio. I would never have guessed Scotland.

9. What a lovely contrast between them. There is something very soothing about the ocean, but I definitely prefer to walk on a sandy beach.

10. An uplifting little post and great read the morning after the election…just what I needed. I like the different looks of the ocean in your photos. Cold and northern looking in some and almost tropical in others.

Great post. Had to be a Brit swimming… 😉